Monday, January 30, 2012

Go here, go there....a few places to go today.....

Well today was a, several places to go challenge day.  We started our day off with blood work at 915am at Sacred Heart in Pace.  We had a different person take Kohlton’s blood today.  Let’s just say he is not a professional at his job.  He didn’t say but maybe three words to us and those were “Come on back” that’s it.  He put the needle in and started moving it around side to side to find a vein, instead of finding a vein and then sticking it, not to mention he held Kohlton’s arm like he was about to break his elbow in half.  He obviously does not know how to work with little ones.  Kohlton screamed the entire time.  It was worse than last week.  Mrs. Bonnie will now have a standing appointment with us on Mondays.  Hopefully she does not take one off.  I know, I know she has a life too, I can’t expect her to not take time off.  After that we headed home for a bit before our chemo appointment.  At around 140pm we get to our oncologist appointment and Dr. Brown said Kohlton is doing great!  His blood counts look great and he does too!  Yay for good news!  She did send us to the surgery floor to have Kohlton’s incision from the biopsy looked at since he keeps bumping it.  So we went down to the surgery area.  There they shaved his head a little more, cleaned the area, and sutured it up.  He finally has a bandage that feels sterile.  They sent us home with plenty of stuff for cleaning and for bandaging it up in the future, if it happens again.  We have to keep a close eye on it to make sure it does not get infected.  On to the infusion floor we went.  This floor has just started working with children so I’m going to say that is why the first lady we saw was not nice.  While we checked in, Kohlton grabbed the glass window and shut it.  I thought this lady was going to smack my child in the face.  She was so rude.  I looked at my sister, Kacey, who went with us and made sure the lady knew I did not like that.  I could not believe it.  Any two and a half year old would have done that.  On one of the last post I had told you guys about the infusion center having a separate area for the children.  Well, they do but you have to weigh in at the adult center and check in there as well.  We went back to the children side where Kohlton was to get his chemo and for us be on our way. (It usually takes about 5-10 minutes.)  With this new system they are trying to do, it took an hour and a half.  We sat in the room for about an hour before they even did anything.  It was ridiculous.  We were all tired.  Kohlton had a new nurse doing the access and chemo.  I know they say that children will get used to it but I don’t see how Kohlton could especially with all these changes.  And with how his mommy or daddy has to hold him to get it done.  The nurse tells me how to hold him.  It is so hard to hold him down and him know it has to be done and that I don’t want him to hurt. I think having the parent hold the child down is beyond cruel to both the parent and child.  Once we got home and changed his clothes he started screaming “no mommy, no hurt”.  I started to cry, he thought I was going to make them do it again.   Back to chemo, he screamed almost the entire time.  Kacey got him calmed down by showing him a book on trucks.  She was great at it.  Being home now is great.  Along with the different places being added and more appointments being made we found out with these changes come financial changes as well.  We used to go to Nemours and because they did the treatment there, there was no copay owed.  Now we have to pay weekly, $40 copay to Nemours and once the infusion center gets straightened out, it could be between $40-$100.  That’s anywhere from $80-$140 a week. I asked to talk to the social worker (I was told she could find a grant or something to help with those amounts.)  After talking with the social worker, we now know that since they have not distinguished whether Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis is cancer or an auto immune disease, (even though chemo, steroids, and sometimes radiation is the only thing that kills it) no grants are available.  Even though we see an oncologist weekly and Kohlton gets chemo weekly, it is not 100% labeled as cancer in the medical dictionary, or whatever you call it.  It grows like cancer, looks like cancer, and the only way to kill it is to treat it as cancer, NO GRANTS!  So this parent is NOT happy with these changes.  Tommy and I will do whatever it takes for Kohlton to get his treatments.  I’m not telling you guys this for handouts.  I am telling you all this so you know what we are going through and will go through.  That is the point of this blog, for me to update you all on Kohlton and for me to get relief from this entire situation.  It helps for me to type all of this.  I am going to stay positive and pray that everything will work out!  I want you all to know we appreciate everything you do for us.  Please keep the prayers coming.  Kohlton is playing like he always has!  The prayers are working!  Thank you all!  Next week we will have blood work Monday AM, doc appointment at 1pm, and the infusion center right after.  I will also find out more on his future treatments and scans to see how the chemo is doing.  I will try to keep you all posted through the week.  Thank you all again!  Please keep praying!

8 comments:

  1. Kara... You are doing such a wonderful job on the blog! I love to read about how he is doing as well as yall! It's so comforting! I'm super glad to hear that it helps you as well! You are such a strong person Kara... Keep up the positive Outlook bc its so important!!! Know that yall are in my thoughts & prayers daily! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give both the boys hugs for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, I think about you every day and I know everything is going to be fine. Just know that for yourself. I wanted to tell you that sometimes the pharmaceutical companies will help. When Stephen was ill they gave him the medication. Check it out and see what they can do. I love you guys and hope to see you soon. If there is anything that I can do call me, I can be there in less then an hour.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara,

    You're a phenomenal mommy to remain positive throughout this entire process. There should be an out of pocket maximum & it would be helpful to find out if once that amount is met, if you no longer owe copays. Some policies require copays throughout & some only require them until your OOP has been met. Also, talk to the financial department. It could be their billing facility or vendor but, there are TONS of options out there & it does not matter what type of illness it is, there are things out there available. If you find out which drugs exactly he is receiving, you can contact the Pharmaceutical company that works with that facility & have them search for a copay assistance program. I did work for an oncology group, and there are TONS of programs for assistance within the drug industry, espcially chemo & bone related drugs. If they can cover the drug (most expensive) then you would only owe the administration fee each treatment. Also, payment plans are always an option. They will determine how much it should cost over the course of treatment & then split it up into monthly payments, and say look, we have a baby at home, formula, house payment, etc, all we can afford for now is X amount of dollars per month. They CAN write up a plan for you that is affordable. Another option is your insurance company. Contact them and explain the circumstances & see if they are able to do anything, as they also have limited but some sort of assistance programs. I hope this helps & I KNOW it is not fun to deal with all these people, but just remember, you are a strong mommy, and all of this is very temporary, before you know it, this will be behind you & you'll be able to help other families who are facing this for the 1st time also. :) You have God on your side & so many prayers for support, and health. Kohlton-bear is a champ! And so are all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.rarediseases.org/patients-and-families/patient-assistance

    https://www.histio.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=379

    Here are some links I found that could be helpful. Especially the first one, it said there are programs to assist in the portion your insurance doesn't cover, copays, until your OOP is met. I would research on your own & give the info to the financial aid or social worker @ the clinic. I know its frustrating, but I just don't buy that because they cannot determine the category for the disease that it isn't covered. Thats simply pathetic. I wouldn't settle for that answer, cause its a weak one. (not trying to anger you at all, just aggrivated for you & at the stupid people who are paid for a job they aren't doing correctly) Stay strong mama! Hopefully that helps some.
    XOXO~ Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to blow up your blog, but another thought came to mind, talk to the chemo dr. Everything is being done under the diagnosis, and the DX is what all the entities related to insurance, payment, etc are using. There sometimes can be a "more appropriate" or "more distinctive" DX that can make a world of difference if one isn't enough or specific enough. Doctors usually are the first to want to help you in any way possible, and if adding a DX is more "appropriate" in addition to the primary one, I don't see why one wouldn't. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kara thanks so much for keeping us posted with the blog - you are doing a great job. Even though I'm far away it is nice to be able to keep up with all that is going on with Kohlton. Please tell him his Aunt Jojo and Uncle Rob love him very much. We know he is tough and will get through this just fine. Let us know if we can do anything at all for you guys. Love you! Joanna and Rob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kohlton James you are my Hero! We love you so much! Can't wait to see you little man!

    ReplyDelete